The energy industry is in the midst of a significant transformation with the implementation of game changing technologies, new build and a growing infrastructure, grid modernization, regulation and policy changes, and more. In Virginia, we have a diverse energy mix including solar, wind, coal, natural gas, and nuclear resources, and an energy strategy that supports economic development and job growth.
In addition to the industry game changers and our energy strategy, the industry employs an aging workforce and a high number of workers who could retire and leave at any time.
Virginia Energy Workforce Consortium members, partners, and alliances work together to build and strengthen collaborative efforts to significantly impact career awareness, education pathways, and approach tomorrow’s workforce needs.
Careers in Energy Week
October 16-20 is Careers in Energy Week! CEWD and its members created Careers in Energy Week to increase public awareness about energy careers through a concerted nationwide effort.
Members of the Virginia Energy Workforce Consortium (VEWC) have a number of activities planned for Careers in Energy Week 2017. Activities and events include, but are not limited to the following.
- The Governor of Virginia signed a proclamation for Careers in Energy Week. (Signed Proclamation)
- High schools offering Energy courses are conducting “Careers in Energy” kickoff events for students.
- Post-secondary schools are hosting their career and technical fairs during Careers in Energy Week.
- Employers are incorporating Careers in Energy Week materials into what will be distributed to students.
- Employers are setting up technical displays and demonstrations at some of these fairs.
- Employers are partnering with educators at all levels (secondary, post-secondary) to:
- Conduct Energy careers information sessions in classrooms;
- Host tours of their stations and other facilities;
- Execute live displays and demonstrations for students;
- And, market internships and scholarships available with the employers.
- Employers and educators offering Energy courses and curricula have planned social media campaigns using tools and resources from CEWD’s Careers in Energy Week toolkit to highlight careers and educational pathways in Virginia.
- Employers are also updating “sponsored” advertisements on their social media pages to market Careers in Energy Week.
- HR and Staffing representatives from employers will provide students with resume writing and interview tips, as well as tips on How to Apply to our careers.
- Employers are leveraging their Communications, Community and External Affairs departments, Speaker Bureau’s, employee resource groups and others to create awareness about Careers in Energy Week.
- Employers’ employee resource groups are combining Careers in Energy Week messages with Black Energy Awareness Month (BEAM) activities with students and other community organizations.
- One employer is hosting its annual PGA Charity Classic golf tournament during Careers in Energy Week. Proceeds from this tournament go to military and veteran organizations. The Troops to Energy Jobs program and Virginia’s Energy educational and career pathways will be promoted.
Energy Workforce and Education Pathways Conference
Thanks to all who attended the Energy Workforce and Education Pathways Conference!
Take a look at pictures from the event here.